White Wine Allergy: Have You Ever Experienced These Symptoms?




These days, it seems like everybody is allergic to something. As our world broadens in scope, people are exposed to new and different things, and it’s just a matter of time before you find something that your body reacts badly to. Lately, people have been complaining about a white wine allergy.

Do you have a white wine allergy? If you’ve ever drank white wine and been beset by a rash, fever, swelling of the throat, or other similar symptoms, chances are you do. These symptoms can be downright dangerous, so talk to your doctor before having another glass of white wine.

There are a few things in white wine that can cause you to have an allergic reaction. First, there are the sulfites. Sulfites are natural preservatives that occur in grapes during the fermentation process. A good way to determine if you are allergic to sulfites is to see if you have a reaction to dried fruits, as many of them contain sulfites as well.
Another cause of a white wine allergy might be the histamines. Histamines are a normal cause of many allergic reactions, thus there are many antihistamine products available at every pharmacy. Histamines occur in the skins of the grapes that wine is made of. Despite what you may have heard, white wine is derived from the whole grape, including the skins. The difference lies in the amount of exposure the wine mixture has to the grape skins; the longer the exposure, the darker the wine. Red wines, obviously, have the most exposure. As a result, red wines have the most histamines. If you have a reaction to white wines but not reds, histamines aren’t your problem.

Other things that might cause a white wine allergy are the ingredients used in preparing or storing the wine. People have been known to have allergic reactions to brewer’s yeast, pesticides, corn, eggs, and mold – many of which are used in the preparation of some wines. Wine is also frequently stored in wooden barrels, which your body may not agree with.

Really, there could be any number of things causing your white wine allergy. The best thing to do is consult your physician and make sure that the problem isn’t more serious. Don’t try to experiment on yourself, trying different similar foods and drink to see if you have a reaction. The swelling of the throat reaction, anaphylaxis, is quite sever and can even be fatal. You don’t want to toy around with your health, but be aware of what you are getting into. Read everything you can get your hands on about the subject and educate yourself. IF you have an allergic reaction the first time you drink wine, avoid the drink altogether until you talk to your physician. Your physician can diagnose your problem and advise you on what course of action you should take. If you really are allergic to white wine, it’s unfortunate, but maybe reds will be more your thing! If you can get into reds, maybe your body will agree!

Filed under White Wine by on . #